Software Engineer – Summer Internship
Candidates should have:
- Top-notch programming skills
- Deep experience with—and love for—technology. There’s no specific checklist; we use software to approach a variety of problems, so we’re interested in everything from machine learning to systems administration to programming language design
- Strong interpersonal skills. Software development at Jane Street is highly collaborative, and we are looking for people who can work effectively in small, close-knit teams
We don’t expect candidates to have experience with functional programming, OCaml, or finance; we’re happy to hire talented developers and teach them what they need to know.
Interns are given the opportunity to engage in software and research projects that have real and lasting impact. Just this year, interns have:
- Improved the propagation algorithm behind an internal parallel/incremental compute engine
- Written high performance code for decoding market data from US exchanges
- Added optimizations to the OCaml compiler to eliminate unnecessary allocations of short-lived objects, as part of a larger project to improve OCaml’s inliner
- Written a tool to efficiently estimate the risk of a continuously changing portfolio in a market crash
Interns work on at least two projects in different areas, collaborating closely with full time developers. They also spend part of their internship in our New York office. Interns also have access to many classes and lectures, including a speaker series that brings in some of the world’s top speakers on a broad array of topics.
Come help us solve hard problems!